Everyone loves saving money and to do so you need to save energy as well so below are some tips on how to save energy with your different appliances throughout the year.
Did you know…appliances make up for about 20% of the energy your household uses. Also, the top appliances that use up the most energy are the refrigerator and the washer/dryer.
General Tips & Tricks
- Air dry clothes and dishes if possible.
- Try to do as many full loads of laundry or dishes.
- Find appliances that are Energy Star labeled.
- Use the microwave to reheat food instead of the oven.
- Avoid using heat-dry on the dishwasher because it increases your electricity usage.
- Try to buy dryers that have an automatic shut off so you’re not wasting energy with it still running.
- Separate loads due to color and weight.
- Clean out the vent occasionally so it doesn’t get blocked.
- Use the moister sensor.
- Clean the lint filter after every load.
- Try to buy a front load washer; it uses much less water than a top load machine.
- Think about when you really need a warm or hot water cycle.
- Make sure to adjust the water level settings, use less for less and more for full loads.
- Don’t make your temperature setting too low, it will actually cost you energy. You should set it around 37-40 degrees F for the fridge and around 5 degrees F for the freezer.
- Place items slightly apart so the air has room to circulate around the food.
- Your doors need to be sealed shut. Nothing should be able to slide between the seal.
- Make sure all items are closed, wrapped and covered.
- Clean out the coils once a year if your refrigerator allows.